snubnosed in alpha

Christian reflections on the way the world is and ways the world might be

Thursday, January 25, 2007

my accent...

When I saw that Mark had taken this quiz on his blog I wondered what my accent would come out as. Here are my results:
What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Northeast

Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

Philadelphia
The Inland North
The South
The Midland
Boston
The West
North Central
What American accent do you have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz
I know that the quiz asks too few questions to really be accurate, but the results are disturbing nonetheless. The troubling thing about this quiz is that it confirms what lots of people have said to me all of my life. I'm from North Carolina. I was born and raised there. But whenever I tell people that, I receive a puzzled look and the comment, "Really? You don't sound Southern." *Sigh* I suppose that that's the price I pay for having grown up in Cary (Containment Area for Relocated Yankees).

11 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Well I just think you sound American.... but I'll let you off ;) Maybe I'll take the quiz......

6:19 PM  
Blogger snubnosed in alpha said...

Thanks, Jason. I need someone to tell me that every once and a while. Where are you from again? I keep thinking Texas.
Lisa, I'd love to find out where the quiz places you!

7:12 PM  
Blogger Taty said...

I am taking that quiz...which shall be interesting considering I don't have an American accent...Now I am really curious

10:32 PM  
Blogger LoftGirl said...

Death to Blogger - it just ate my comment. Anyway, you only sound southern on some words. I took the quiz and it was right on the mark. "Midland, which basically means no accent, or somewhere in Pennsylvania." This tells me that you just have no idea what you sound like. ;)

3:32 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Northeast....... hmmm. Well, I guess it's probably the closest geographically to england!

9:27 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

(ps. my last comment was my result.... just incase you thought I was talking about you!)

7:39 AM  
Blogger snubnosed in alpha said...

Sambo, thanks for the encouraging word. Sometimes I can get kind of down, thinking to myself, "Am I really even Southern?" It's scary facing the prospect of being a quasi-pseudo-Yankee. But you've reminded me that even if my accent isn't very Southern, my appetite definitely is.
mmmm...Boberry biscuits...

12:37 PM  
Blogger snubnosed in alpha said...

hmmm...maybe we won't be speaking Welsh in the new heavens and earth after all...

9:39 PM  
Blogger shelah said...

I could tell you were from the South, Dave, but I'm not sure why - maybe that brotherhood of Southerners or whatever - even though I don't sound like it anymore. I think it is something intuitive that northerners just don't understand - how do you explain a culture? I MISS it. Can't wait to return to my dad's place in horse-farm Tennessee... thinking of going back to "ya'll" for residency in a year... far, far away from Cleveland, Ohio!

I sound northern, too, now, but when I tell people, though, they hear that Louisiana "a" in there a little...

3:21 PM  
Blogger snubnosed in alpha said...

Shelah, I'm so glad that your Southern radar picked me up!
Is the Louisiana "a" pronounced like the "a" in "amber"? I'm trying to pick it out.
And, yeah, the Yankees don't get it. Sometimes they can pick me out, though, because I always say "ma'am" and "sir" and "y'all" (I've never been able to drop it) and am otherwise more polite than they're used to.

9:08 PM  
Blogger shelah said...

Yes, I think it was that Southern politeness that gave you away. Ah, the SOUTH... the unspoken rules of behavior... I've tried to write them out in the past when pressed about why I LONG to be back and I can't do them justice - things like asking, "How's your ma?" or expecting grandpa to have the last word, or never leaving a house after a party without forcibly attempting to do the dishes... MISS IT.

The Louisiana "a" is different from the "a" in the rest of the South - a cajun exclusive, I guess - there's no "lilt" to it. like selah's "a" in Hebrew is my closest guess. (versus "shelah" which I just found out from a jewish friend is actually pronounced with an E-I, not A!!! So we've been pronouncing it wrong for over two decades.)

12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home