snubnosed in alpha

Christian reflections on the way the world is and ways the world might be

Monday, April 02, 2007

indigestion


It's been some time now since I've posted anything due to the demands of my schoolwork and a general lack of inspiration all around. But at the moment I felt compelled to blog before throwing myself headlong into my next seminary related task.
I had been looking forward to Spring Break. I had thought that a week off from classes meant a week of uninhibited research and paper writing, which, to my mind, is the best of all seminary assignments. I enjoy researching for and writing papers. Grappling with and analyzing knotty texts and issues and creatively detailing the results of my enquiry are two of my favorite things to do. I personally invest myself in my papers, treating them as works of art, revising them again and again to make them just right. This is not to say that I'm a great writer or that my papers are anything special. It's just to say that I love to prepare and write them.
But, to my great dismay, I realized this morning that rather than enjoying the creative outlet of paper writing this week I shall be engaged in the soul siphoning, spirit shriveling, mind numbing task of digesting. In 11 days I will have to turn in my second round of digests for Salvation II and will thus be reading in rapid succession numerous theologians (who more or less all say the same thing) and summarizing each of their nigh indistinguishable formulations in a Word Document. Digesting is not my favorite thing to do. In fact, on my list of "Things that I Dread Most" digesting falls just below being forced chew up clay flower pots and sitting in a bath-tub full of scissors. No other task fills me with that sense of irony about seminary that I'd mentioned before. *Sigh*
Please pray that these digests don't undo me.

8 Comments:

Blogger snubnosed in alpha said...

Thanks, Tony. I think I'll take your advice. An entire Salvation II digest completed in 3 days? Is it possible? I dare to say that it is.

4:44 PM  
Blogger snubnosed in alpha said...

Thanks for noticing, Tony! I'm most proud of my abs but you kinda see right through them in this picture.

7:41 AM  
Blogger rebecca said...

i believe that when one digests a digest (or digests*), the material simply gets hyper-digested until (ideally) only the most beneficial ingredients remain. or it gets completely destroyed by the stomach acid. it's one or the other.
good luck, gents.

9:25 PM  
Blogger snubnosed in alpha said...

Yeah, digesting a confession or catechism is a bit like chewing the cud.

9:39 AM  
Blogger David said...

I had to look back in my old files to make sure that we had to do digests back in '04. Sure enough, all three digests were there.

But we didn't digest the Standards, probably because instead we had to memorize the WSC. Word is that Tipton has gone soft since then.

9:53 AM  
Blogger snubnosed in alpha said...

Hey, is this David Goneau?

12:59 PM  
Blogger David said...

Nope, David Hastie. Though I knew Dave Goneau back in the day.

5:00 PM  
Blogger snubnosed in alpha said...

Well, welcome, David Hastie. Pleased to meet you.

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home